Special Town Meeting
Read More

Building Department

(860) 283-8411
Primary Contact:
Paul Bette
Thomaston Town Hall
158 Main Street
Building & Land Use Office - 3rd Floor
About the Building Department
The primary purpose of the Building Department is to uphold and enforce the State of Connecticut Building Code to ensure that construction in the Town of Thomaston meets the uniform minimum standards of the State of Connecticut. 

The Town will stringently enforce the Building Code as a set minimum standard as indicated by State Statutes particularly those sections that pertain to life, health, and safety.  The Building Official will enforce the State Building Code in a fair and even-handed manner.

It is the intent of the Town of Thomaston Building Department to provide high quality and timely service in such a manner that homeowners, contractors, and businesses are not unnecessarily delayed in their construction activities. 


Meetings & Events

Building Department
does not have any upcoming meetings or events scheduled. Check back later!
Recently Held
Building Department
does not have recent meetings or events listed. Check back later!

Latest News

No items found.


Can the Building Department recommend contractors?

No. Because of liability, the Town cannot make recommendations of any type. You are encouraged to “shop around”, ask for references, and check with the CT Department of Consumer Protection website to confirm your contractor has been licensed by the State of Connecticut.

What is a building code?

Building codes are laws and ordinances established by Local, State, and Federal governments which set minimum safety standards. Building codes embrace all aspects of the building construction - structural as well as plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and mechanical.

Current State of Connecticut Building Code

Why are building permits required?

A building permit serves as formal and legal permission to start any construction job. The issuance of a building permit indicates that plans for a new structure, addition, alteration, renovation, foundation, plumbing, heating and air conditioning, electrical, prefabricated structures, etc. have been approved by a building inspector and complies with current mandated building codes and zoning regulations.

What are the benefits of having a building permit?

Increased Value.  Your home or business is an investment. If your construction project does not comply with the codes adopted by your community, the value of your investment could be reduced. Property insurers may not cover work done without permits and inspections. If you decide to sell a home or building that has had modifications without a permit, you may be required to tear down the addition, leave it unoccupied or do costly repairs.

Legal Protection.  A property owner who can show that code requirements were strictly and consistently met, as demonstrated by a Building Official's carefully maintained records, has a strong ally if something happens to trigger a potentially destructive lawsuit.

Safety.  Your permit also allows the Building Official to protect the public by reducing the potential hazards of unsafe construction and ensuring public health, safety and welfare. By following code guidelines, your completed project will meet minimum standards of safety and will be less likely to cause injury to you, your family, your friends or future owners.

How do I know if my project requires a building permit?

Following is a list of common projects that require permits. This is not intended to be a comprehensive list; please call the Building Department with any questions:

  • New Homes
  • Additions
  • Alterations
  • Tanks (oil/propane/gas)
  • Solar Systems
  • Sheds/Gazebos/Garages
  • Decks/Piers
  • Wood/Pellet/Coal Stoves
  • Siding/Vinyl/Wood 
  • Chimneys/Fireplaces
  • Re-Roofing
  • Pools/In-ground and Above ground
  • Demolition
  • Plumbing
  • Electrical Wiring & Service
  • Heating/Air Conditioning
  • Refrigeration & Sprinkler Systems
  • Replacement Windows
  • Gas Log Sets

Can I pay application fees online?

Yes. Debit/Credit card and eCheck payments can be made both in office and online.

Please note that while we can take online payments, we do not have an online permitting system.
Permit applications can be mailed to the Building Department, 158 Main St, Thomaston CT 06787, or walked into the office during regular business hours.

Please call 860-283-8411 x1 to verify the permit application fee before submitting a payment.  Once that amount is confirmed, use the link below to make payment:

Click here to make payment for a permit application.

**Convenience fees apply.**

Thank you! 

Does Thomaston offer online permitting?

Not at this time.  We apologize for the inconvenience. 

Permit applications can be submitted the following ways:

  • In person during posted office hours.
  • By regular mail to the address at the top of this page.

Effective Immediately:
We will no longer be accepting applications by email.
We had hoped that offing this service would provided a convenience to contractors in the absence of an online permitting system. However,  we have no way to track these submissions and since we are still working with a 100% paper filing system, the time and cost related to printing and processing applications received by email has resulted in a delay in the processing and approval of all permits.

We are currently looking into options for an online permitting system. Thank you for your understanding.

What are mechanical permits?

Examples of Mechanical permits include electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, ventilation, sprinkler, hood systems, low voltage wiring.

Can a homeowner work on their own house?

A homeowner can work on his or her own house provided the house is a single-family, owner-occupied dwelling. If the house is a rental property or a multi-family dwelling, a Connecticut licensed professional must apply for the permit and perform the electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, sprinkler, mechanical, etc. work.

Why are inspections necessary?

Inspections are performed by a Building Inspector, who checks each phase of construction and makes certain that the work conforms to the building codes, the approved plans, and the permit.

Can State Building Code be modified?

104.10.1 State Building Code. Pursuant to subsection (b) of section 29-254 of the Connecticut General Statutes, the State Building Inspector may grant modifications, variations or exemptions from, or approve equivalent or alternative compliance with, the Connecticut State Building Code where strict compliance with the Connecticut State Building Code would entail practical difficulty or unnecessary hardship, or is otherwise adjudged unwarranted, provided the intent of the law shall be observed and public welfare and safety be assured. 

Modification Request Form Available Here.

Will my taxes increase?

The Assessor's office can help you with tax related questions. They can be reached at (860) 283-0305

How do I file a complaint?

If you have a concern as to whether work is being done with the required building permit and/or whether work is being done according to Connecticut Building Code, please fill out and return a Building & Land Use Concern/Complaint form. 

Complaints are addressed according to the following priorities and in the order received.  
  1. Complaints/violations that pose immediate danger to the public health, safety, and general welfare of the community. 
  2. Complaints/violations involving earth moving and/or excavation. 
  3. Complaints/violations involving direct impacts to known or suspected wetlands or watercourses. 
  4. Complaints/violations involving soil erosion controls.
  5. Complaints/violation related to development projects that are in the construction phase or any non-permitted construction. 
  6. Written complaints, signed by the submitting complainant.
  7. Internal complaints from other departments (Assessor’s Office, Public Works, etc.)
  8. Proactive enforcement programs initiated by the Building Official. 
  9. Unsigned (anonymous) complaints. 

Building & Land Use staff will contact you within 48 hours upon initial receipt of your complaint; however, please understand that complaints will be investigated and addressed according to the priority system listed above.

Complainants should also be aware that, pursuant to the Connecticut Freedom of Information Act, once this form has been submitted to the Town of Thomaston, it becomes a public record and as such must be made available for public inspection upon request.


The Building Department has vacant seat(s).
Interested in volunteering? See all the vacancies.


Paul M. Bette
Working Families
Building Official
(860) 283-8411
Laura Fitch
Working Families
Administrative Assistant
(860) 283-8411


No items found.

Alternate Members

No items found.

File Directory

Showing 0 of 100
Clear Filters

Note: Minutes and Agenda files older that 24 months can be found in the Archives.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
Building Department
Building Department
Building Department
Building Department
Building Department
Sorry, there are no files available that match that criteria.
Please select a different filter, or click "Clear Filters" to show all the files available.