Tax Office Closed
The Tax Office will be closed Friday, April 2, 2021 in observance of Good Friday. We will resume regular business hours Monday, April 5, 2021.
Taxpayers are encouraged to conduct business remotely using one of the options listed below.
- Mail in payments using the self-addressed envelope.
- Pay online. Instructions are below.
- Visit one of the Thomaston Savings Bank locations in Thomaston during the months of July and January. You must bring original bill and not owe back taxes. You cannot combined multiple bills on one check.
Tax Sale 2021
Check back for more information.
The mill rate for the 2019 grand list is 36.13. Payment will be due July 1, 2020. The last day to pay without interest will be August 3, 2020.
Payment for the Motor Vehicle Supplemental and the second installment of Real Estate and Personal Property tax bills will be due January 1, 2021. The last day to pay without interest will be February 1, 2021.
If you misplaced a bill(s), you may print a copy of your bill by clicking on the Pay Bills and Tax Information link below or call the Tax Office at 860-283-4271.
Pay Bills and Tax Information
When Taxes Are Due
Real Estate and Personal Property taxes are paid in two installments, July 1 and January 1 (normally). Failure to pay on or before August 3 or February 1 will result in a late payment with interest charged at 1.5% per month (18% per year) computed from the due date of July 1 or January 1, per State Statute 12-145. Minimum interest charge is $2.00.
Motor vehicle bills are due in one installment. Bills are calculated from an October 1st date. If you have sold or traded in an automobile for which you have received a bill, please contact the Assessor's office on how to proceed prior to paying your bill. The Assessor's number is 860-283-0305.
Click here for Assessor's information.
Notice to Thomaston Taxpayers with DELINQUENT MOTOR VEHICLE taxes:
On June 29, 2004, an ordinance was adopted that requires delinquent motor vehicle taxes be paid with cash, money order, or certified bank check.
On March 31, 2010, at a Thomaston Town Meeting, an ordinance was adopted that requires ANY delinquent motor vehicle bill be charged a $2.00 delinquent fee.
“Foreclosure Mediation: Notice of Community Based Resources” This information is being provided to the public in accordance with PA 12-1 Section 129, effective October 1, 2012.
Thomaston taxpayers are now able to pay their real estate, personal property, motor vehicle, and supplemental motor vehicle taxes with a credit card, debit card, or e-check, either online or in the Tax Office. This service is provided through Point & Pay.
Please note, per Town Ordinance, in order to receive immediate release for the DMV, delinquent taxes must be paid in the form of cash, bank check, or money order.
To better serve the community, the Tax Office has partnered with Point & Pay to accept credit or debit card payments. Point & Pay adds a 2.75% ($2.00 minimum) convenience fee for processing your payment on a credit or debit card. An e-check is $2.95 per check.
Please do not postdate checks.
Please do not use staples.
- You may write one check for all your tax bills. Real Estate, Personal Property, Motor Vehicle, and Motor Vehicle Supplement. Does not include WPCA Sewer Usage Fees.
- Delinquent motor vehicle tax bills have to be paid with cash, money order, or certified bank check per Town Ordinance passed June 29, 2004.
- Per State Statute 12-130, failure to have received a bill does not exempt the taxpayer from taxes, fees, liens, or interest.
- Interest cannot be waived.
- U.S. postmark date is used to determine interest.
- Past-due taxes must be paid before current taxes. The oldest list year is paid first (CGS12-144b), except for prior years that are in litigation or predate a pending bankruptcy.
- Any payment received will be applied to fees, liens, and interest first, and then to tax (CGS 12-144b).
Thomaston Tax Collector
PO Box 136
Thomaston, CT 06787-0136
Phone: (860) 283-4271
Fax: (860) 283-2893
Assistant Tax Collector
Monday to Wednesday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Thursday 8:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Friday 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon